Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 14 Apr 17 at 17:00 PM


United have to look towards the remaining three matches to secure the club’s survival in the National League.

Despite a performance that promised to provide a point, or even all three, a terrific free-kick from Sam Habergham made sure that United left Sincil Bank point-less. This was despite United taking the lead in the 78th minute through Ruairi Keating.

Lincoln hit back through Harry Anderson, and then Habergham took centre stage.

Player-manager, Kevin Nicholson made one change to the side that picked up a point against Aldershot last Saturday. Defender Myles Anderson came back into the starting eleven after serving a one-match suspension. Jordan Lee started once again at right midfield, continuing his impressive return to the team.

To be so competitive and yet to leave in defeat is the most frustrating part.

The first half was largely uneventful apart from one claim for a goal when United believed that the ball had crossed the line.

Lincoln winger Josh Ginnelly had the first shot of any note in the opening minutes. Brendan Moore saw the ball fly past his near post.

Moore was called upon to make another save in the 12th minute when Lincoln winger Jack Muldoon broke through United’s defence.

Lincoln were unlucky not to go ahead in the 16th minute when the ball broke loose inside United’s box. Luckily for the Gulls the ball was eventually cleared.

Lincoln had had their say in the first quarter of the first half, but United were soon to come back into things. Luke Young fired a free-kick over the bar, but it was a sign that the match was beginning to turn in United’s favour.

In the 28th minute the team were convinced that the ball had crossed the line after a little chaos inside Lincoln’s box. Farman looked like he had kept the ball out.

TUFC Vs Lincoln City 14-04-17 T

In the 38th minute Luke Young delivered a superb ball into the box, but no-one could get close enough to make a telling touch. They really should have, given the quality of Young’s delivery.

The ball sat up for Giancarlo Gallifuoco to try his luck in the 40th minute. His shot wasn’t too far away.

In the 42nd minute Muldoon tested Moore once again with a low shot. It was a fine save.

United were improving, and not long into the second half they had another chance to open the scoring. It fell to Aman Verma inside the penalty box, but he couldn’t get a clean strike away.

Gallifuoco tried to get something going in the 55th minute when he played a one-two with Jordan Lee and found enough space to get a shot away.

Lincoln manager Danny Cowley showed his frustration at his side’s performance by ringing the changes. A trio of early substitutions in the second half spoke volumes about Lincoln’s title aspirations.

One such substitute, Adam Marriott, struck the base of Brendan Moore’s post with a header in the 73rd minute.

Ruairi Keating Vs Lincoln City 14-04-17 T

United took the lead in the 78th minute through Ruairi Keating’s third goal of the season. A ball from the left wing fell nicely for Keating to fire the ball home.

United may not have fully deserved to go in front, but they had worked so hard to get their moment.

Unfortunately the game was to turn over the space of two minutes.

Firstly, United were caught cold in the 86th minute and didn’t react quick enough. Brendan Moore made one save, but Harry Anderson was quickest to the follow-up to score from close range.

Once the ball crossed the line Lincoln found renewed hope that they could take all three points. That was the case once Sam Habergham’s sweetly struck free-kick found the net in the 86th minute.

All eyes point to Plainmoor on Monday for our vital clash with Braintree Town. We need your support more than ever as the team tries to pull off survival in the National League.

    Latest Match Reports