Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Jul 14 at 05:27 AM

FC Halifax 0

United 2

UNITED recorded their third win in a row to continue their impressive end of season form. Goals from John Campbell and Kadell Daniel earned all three points for the Gulls.

Manager Chris Hargreaves made one change to his team, bringing in Ashley Yeoman after the forward’s winner against Lincoln on Tuesday night.

United started brightly and could have taken the lead early in the first half. Toby Ajala and Louis Briscoe combined cleverly to allow Ashley Yeoman to get a shot away. Unfortunately his effort went just wide of goal.

Although United were a threat throughout the game United ‘keeper Dan Lavercombe was called upon to make some vital saves and the best of them happened not soon after Yeoman’s chance. Lavercombe stood up well to James Bolton’s header at the back post and made the ball safe.

Lavercombe’s reflexes kept Halifax at bay but it was also his confidence claiming the ball under pressure that assisted United greatly. The Shaymen tested United’s back five with numerous balls into the box. Aaron Downes and Krystian Pearce stayed strong.

United’s best chance of the first half fell to Louis Briscoe. United got behind Halifax’s backline but after Yeoman’s shot was saved by Glennon, Briscoe was unable to find the back of the net.

The first half ended goalless but United had shown that they were very much in the game despite a surface that discouraged a passing on the deck.

It was the pitch that was to play an important part in United’s next serious attack. A mix-up between FC Halifax ‘keeper Matt Glennon and Marc Roberts allowed Toby Ajala to run on goal. The ball never settled on a sandy, bobbly surface and unfortunately went out of play.

FC Halifax spurned a good opportunity to open the scoring when Jack Muldoon sent the ball over the bar after taking on Krystian Pearce.

The pitch was to assist United in their opening goal. John Campbell will admit that he has struck a ball sweeter but with some help from an uneven surface he was able to beat Matt Glennon. The goal was even more important considering that moments before Dan Lavercombe had saved with his legs to keep FC Halifax out.

United were to seal the points with a goal of real quality.

Kadell Daniel’s second goal in a Yellow shirt will be one he remembers for a long time. A sweetly struck free-kick doubled United’s lead.

United could have had a third if Campbell had been a little cooler after getting in on goal from a Courtney Richards through-ball.

A third win in a row sets United up for the visit of Macclesfield Town in a 5:15pm kick off in the final game of the season.

FC Halifax Town: (4-4-2) 27 Glennon; 2 Bolton [Pearson 17’]; 3 McManus;  4 Roberts; 7 Smith; 8 Marshall; 15 Roberts; 23 Hutchison; 33 Muldoon [Schofield 83’]; 36 Hatfield ; 40 Hattersley [Jackson 46’] Substitutes (not used): 1 Senior; 14 Williams

United: (4-4-2) 31 Lavercombe; 4 Downes; 5 Pearce; 6 Harding; 7 Briscoe [Campbell 61’]; 10 Ajala; 14 Yeoman; ; 20 Daniel; 22 McQuilkin [Richards 68’]; 25 Ives; 29 Dawson Substitutes (not used): 1 Rice; 8 Young; 26 Gueguen

Booked: Muldoon, Marshall

Referee: Martin Coy

Att: 1,175 (128 away)

    Latest Match Reports