Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 11 Aug 15 at 21:59 PM


TORQUAY United slipped to defeat for the first time this season at much-fancied Wrexham despite taking the lead through Josh Carmichael.

The action started with the home side looking purposeful as Vose fired over early on before there was a real let-off for United as Smith found space from a corner but header over.

There was a smart save from Fabian Spiess to deny Gray as Wrexham continued to press in the opening exchanges.

At the other end, Shepherd Murombedzi did well to make room for a strike but the home side had numbers back to block his attempt.

United were frustrating our hosts with some determined and solid play. On the rare occasion that our back-line was breached, Gray headed into the side-netting.

An inviting cross from Bayan Fenwick picked out Joe Quigley as the clock ticked down in the opening period but the youngster fired wide, however, it wasn't long until his AFC Bournemouth team-mate, Josh Carmichael made his mark when he headed home the opener following a Dan Butler cross.

It sent the travelling faithful into raptures as we went in at the break leading 1-0 and finishing the half with a flourish.

United kept our shape well at the start of the second period but the equaliser finally arrived on 57 minutes when the ever-dangerous Vose was able to find the net from close range.

Having defended resolutely up to that point, it was a disappointing goal to concede.

With Malachi Lavelle-Moore on for Quigley, there was a booking for Carmichael following a foul before Wrexham edged in front as Jennings found the net. Once again, Vose had a hand in the move.

United continued to battle hard and refused to let our heads drop. Chaney replaced Fenwick, but it wasn't long before the Welsh outfit extended their lead as Fyfield was felled in the area and the referee pointed to the spot.

Gray made no mistake to make it 3-1 with nine minutes to go.

It meant we had a mountain to climb, but some neat play from Marsh saw him set up youngster Chaney who blazed over the crossbar.

That was to be our final serious effort on goal as we went down to a 3-1 defeat at The Racecourse.

    Latest Match Reports