Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Aug 15 at 17:00 PM


TORQUAY United returned to winning ways with an entertaining 3-2 success at FC Halifax Town.

There was a boost ahead of kick-off as Louis Briscoe returned to the starting line-up following injury, whilst James Hurst also shook off his recent injury problems to make his debut.

And it was Hurst who was involved in the early action as he forced a corner which was scrambled clear by the Town defence.

It was a bright start for United who were on the front-foot from the off and Dan Butler went close with a free-kick which flew just over.

Just as the home side started to build up a head of steam, they were rocked when United took the lead as Exodus Geohaghon's long throw-in was headed home by Angus MacDonald.

However, it wasn't long before our hosts got back on level terms when a free-kick from Burrow found its way past Fabian Spiess.

United refused to let our heads drop, though, and we managed to regain the lead on 34 minutes when Dan Butler delivered an inviting ball onto the head of Hurst who netted a debut goal.

Hurst was involved in the next action, this time at the other end of the field, as he was alert to deflect the ball wide following a goalmouth scramble.

It was an open affair as the first half came to a close. Briscoe went close for United whilst Burrow was denied at the other end by MacDonald.

United had a goal ruled out for offside right at the end of the opening period as Hurst thought he had bagged his second. It wasn't to be as we went in at the break leading 2-1.

The second half started with FC Halifax playing with purpose as they posed a number of questions, but Spiess did well with a couple of smart saves to keep them at bay.

However, he could do nothing to prevent Burrow bagging his second to level matters.

More bad news was to follow as Hurst was forced to hobble out of the action with Bayan Fenwick taking his place. Then Waide Fairhurst came on for Briscoe.

The changes helped United get a foot-hold back in the game as MacDonald went close when his header from another long Geohaghon throw-in shaved the woodwork.

It wasn't long before our third goal arrived when Fairhurst combined well with Quigley to feed Alex Fisher who lifted the ball over the 'keeper and into the net for his second goal of the season.

The goal came against the run of play in fairness, but it gave us a real boost as we got back on top with Fenwick in particular unlucky as he was denied by a last-gasp challenge.

As the clock ticked down, United were displaying plenty of endeavour and determination which was combined with a willingness to work hard for each other.

There was an opening for our hosts but Hughes failed to take advantage as he dragged his effort wide.

With Malachi Lavelle-Moore on for the last ten minutes, our hosts started to up the pressure as they searched for an equaliser. But Spiess and his back-line were in resolute mood to thwart them.

A chance for Fairhurst inside the area saw him turn sharply before getting in a low strike that was deflected just wide. The resulting corner came to nothing, though, as the ball was cleared long.

Fairhurst then had some defending to do as Town created several openings as the game moved into stoppage time.

A United counter-attack almost produced a fourth goal when Fisher found Fairhurst who in turn picked out Fenwick and his effort was cleared off the line.

There was still time for Fenwick to pick up a red card right at the death for kicking the ball away but it failed to take the gloss off an excellent 3-2 victory for Paul Cox's men. 

    Latest Match Reports