Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 18 Aug 15 at 22:00 PM


THERE was controversy at The Launa Windows Stadium as Torquay United slipped to a last-minute home defeat at the hands of Woking in a game which also saw manager, Paul Cox, sent from the touchline.

United went into the game in upbeat mood having won at FC Halifax on Saturday.

A bright opening period saw both teams playing with confidence with a good tempo to proceedings.

There was a chance within the opening minute as Louis Briscoe fired over, whilst Dan Holman also went close at the other end within the opening exchanges.

After Courtney Richards had tried his luck from distance only to see his effort fly over the crossbar, Alex Fisher caused problems for the visitors’ defence but couldn’t make it count as his shot was saved.

There were appeals for a penalty when Fisher went down under the challenge of former Gull, Brian Saah, but the referee was unmoved.

Woking were playing their part in an enterprising opening period and looked sharp on the break with Kieran Murtagh in particular going close on a couple of occasions.

United were playing some neat football without seriously testing the visiting ‘keeper and we went in at the break with the scoreline locked at 0-0.

It was our opponents who started the brighter of the two teams after the break as Spiess had to be alert to deny Murtagh.

Controversy was soon to follow, though, when United attempted to replace Briscoe with new signing, Simon Heslop. However, the fourth official mistakenly held up the number 17 rather than 7 and Fisher made his way from the field.

Spotting the error, manager, Paul Cox, intervened and a debate with the Match Officials ensued. It ended with Cox being sent from the touchline.

The incident left a sour taste on proceedings and knocked United out of our stride.

Nevertheless, there was still nothing in the game as both sides failed to find a way through well-organised and resolute back-lines.

As the clock ticked down, Josh Carmichael headed over whilst Spiess tipped over a powerful drive from Joey Jones.

It was from the resulting corner that Woking snatched their last-gasp winner when Ismail Yakubu was able to head home at the far post.

The Match Officials left the field at the end of the game to a chorus of boos as United suffered our second defeat of the season in controversial circumstances.

    Latest Match Reports