Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Sep 15 at 17:01 PM


TORQUAY United brought home a point from a 1-1 draw at Welling United having played for just over an hour with ten men following the dismissal of goalkeeper, Fabian Spiess.

The action started with an early effort from Louis Briscoe, which was blocked.

With nine minutes on the clock, Welling managed to get their noses in front when Fabian Spiess did well initially with a smart save but Vidal was alert to guide the loose ball home and open the scoring.

United failed to let our heads drop, though, and within ten minutes we were back on level terms when a free-kick from Dan Butler found its way into the net after both Exodus Geohaghon and James Hurst made their presence felt in front of goal.

It was United asking all of the questions in the wake of the goal and a deft header from Malachi Lavelle-Moore crept just wide of the mark.

There were appeals for a red card for Geohaghon from the home crowd for a professional foul, but the referee was unmoved on this occasion. He did, however, reach for his red card soon afterwards after Spiess was adjudged to have handled outside his area.

It meant that Lavelle-Moore was sacrificed as Dan Lavercombe took his place between the posts and the talented young 'keeper was called into action straight away as he saved well to deny Lee before Corne fired over for the home side in the next attack.

The home side were upping the pressure as half-time approached as they looked to make their extra man count. 

Despite the pressure, it was United who nearly snatched the lead when a counter-attack ended with Alex Fisher firing inches wide.

Then a trademark long throw-in from Geohaghon caused problems for the home defence as the ball was scrambled away from right in front of goal.

Just before the break, Porter lobbed the ball over the on-rushing Lavercombe, but thankfully for United, his effort hit the woodwork and rebounded to safety.

It meant that an eventual opening period ended with the scores level at 1-1.

Ten-man United came out with plenty of determination and vigour at the start of the second half and a cross-come-shot from Hurst almost caught the home side out early on.

After Harris went close for the home side. there was a yellow card for Hurst following a foul and then from the resulting free-kick, the ball whistle just past Lavercombe's post.

With just over 20 minutes to go, Joe Quigley came on for Fisher.

Lavercombe did well to deny Porter before some good defending from Butler halted another Welling raid.

As the clock ticked down, Angus MacDonald had to be alert to thwart Harris with a timely clearance off the line.

At the other end, Briscoe skipped past two challenges before making room for a strike that was well saved by the home 'keeper. Simon Heslop then tried his luck but he was off target with his powerful strike.

Into stoppage time and Briscoe fired over from close range before MacDonald was felled inside the area but the referee waved away the appeals for a spot-kick.

It was to be the last real action of the game as honours ended even.

    Latest Match Reports