Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 19 Sep 15 at 17:02 PM


TORQUAY United stepped out in the wake of Paul Cox's resignation to play host to a Bromley side who have adapted well to the added demands of life in the Vanarama National League following their promotion at the end of last season.

With United shooting towards the Babbacombe end, there was an early chance for Malachi Lavelle-Moore as he got inside the area before lifting the ball over the 'keeper and just wide of the target.

Dan Lavercombe started in goal, but it was the visiting 'keeper who was the busier of the two in the opening exchanges.

United took a deserved lead with five minutes on the clock when a long free-kick from Dan Butler found the head of James Hurst who got himself into a good position to make it 1-0.

The goal brought Bromley to life and they were back on level terms within three minutes when Moses Emmanuel fired home to beat Lavercombe.

After Ali Fuseini had fired over for the visitors, they were able to take the lead when United's back-line failed to clear the ball and Emmanuel was on hand to poke the ball underneath the 'keeper.

Despite falling behind, United continued to look lively going forward with Tyrone Marsh causing problems with his pace.

On the half-hour, Emmanuel completed his hat-trick when he was able to guide the ball into the net.

Another inviting ball into the danger zone from Butler gave the Bromley defence cause for concern and there appeared to be a handball as they cleared their lines, but the referee waved away the appeals as the play continued.

Right on the stroke of half-time, United were handed a lifeline when Marsh was able to reduce the arrears as he turned the ball home from close range.

The second period started with United looking to make our mark straight away as Louis Briscoe fired wide from a good position.

The wind was taken out of our sails on the hour when Holland was presented with a simple tap-in to make it 4-2.

It was a key goal as Bromley grew in confidence and Lavercombe did well to deny them shortly afterwards.

The young 'keeper was powerless to prevent Louis Dennis from extending Bromley's lead when his free-kick gave him absolutely no chance.

Worse was to follow three minutes later as Bayan Fenwick conceded a penalty and Cook stepped up to convert to make it 6-2.

United were at this stage playing for pride and Josh Carmichael did well to thread a ball through for Marsh who was out-numbered at the crucial moment as he prepared to shoot at goal.

Bromley notched a seventh goal when a strike from just outside the area by Fuseini found its way into the net.

With five minutes to go, Marsh got his second goal of the game when he broke into the area before slotting past the 'keeper.

As the clock ticked down, Cook went close for the visitors, but it ended in a 7-3 defeat and now we must pick ourselves up with another game coming up on Tuesday evening.

    Latest Match Reports