Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 22 Sep 15 at 22:03 PM


TORQUAY United made a prompt return to home action, determined to make amends for our disappointing showing in the last game.

Caretaker-manager, John Ramshaw, made four changes to the side for the visit of Boreham Wood with Fabian Spiess returning in goal, whilst new signing, Durrell Berry came straight into the starting line-up and recent arrival, Fergus Bell, made his first start for the club. 

Up front, Alex Fisher, was given the nod and he was involved in the action from the off when a neat ball from James Hurst picked him out and his shot on the turn was blocked.

With supporters of other local clubs helping to swell the crowd and create a good atmosphere inside The Launa Windows Stadium, it was the visitors who took the lead with eight minutes on the clock when a free-kick from Graeme Montgomery slipped past the defensive wall and into the bottom corner of the net.

A corner for the Gulls saw Angus MacDonald make his presence felt as the visitors were forced to scramble clear under pressure.

Some slick play from United on 20 minutes saw the Wood defence carved open as the ball found its way to Hurst who broke into the area only to drag his effort agonisingly wide of the target.

It was Torquay who were doing all the pressing at this stage and Dan Butler sent over a tantalising cross which the visitors did well to clear.

As half-time approached, Hurst was given a yellow card for a robust challenge as the resulting free-kick was gathered without too many problems by the returning Spiess.

Trailing 1-0 at the break, the second period started with Boreham Wood attacking the Babbacombe end.

United’s first sight of goal came when Josh Carmichael tried his luck from distance and stung the ‘keepers’ hands but unfortunately there was no-one on hand to capitalise upon the rebound.

In the 52nd minute, the lively Hurst crossed the ball in from the right after some clever build-up play as Fisher found space in the area only for his header to creep just wide of the post.

Moments later Boreham Wood launched a raid of their own, which ended with a teasing ball to the far post but Berry was on hand to block with some excellent defending.

It wasn’t long before the visitors were able to double their advantage when a free-kick from distance by Mustafa Tiryaki found the net with pinpoint precision.

Louis Briscoe was introduced just before the hour-mark to replace Carmichael and he made an immediate impact as he picked out Fisher who fired home from close range to give the ‘keeper no chance.

With the Yellow Army in full cry, we pushed hard for a leveller to keep the Wood goalkeeper busy. Tyrone Marsh went close with an audacious lob before seeing another opportunity thwarted by the ‘keeper shortly afterwards.

Boreham Wood managed to take the sting out of the game as the clock ticked down, without creating too much in the way of chances.

There was some more intelligent play from Briscoe to set up Hurst who blasted wide from 30 yards with the ‘keeper rooted to the spot before a minute later there were loud penalty appeals but the referee awarded United a free-kick right on the edge of the area instead.

From the resulting free-kick, the ball found its way to Marsh who tapped in from close range, only for his joy to be short-lived as an offside flag was raised.

It turned out to be Marsh’s last involvement in the action as he was replaced by Ashley Yeoman, who has returned from his loan spell at Truro City.

With five minutes to go, United squandered a guilt-edged chance when Hurst found himself clear on the edge of the area only to blasé high and wide.

There was still time for the visitors to miss a great opportunity of their own as United pushed for an equaliser.

The visitors managed to keep United at bay in stoppage time as the game ended in a 2-1 defeat.

    Latest Match Reports