Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 13 Oct 15 at 21:35 PM


TORQUAY United were back on the road for this Tuesday evening trip to Woking.

An early foray forward by United saw an inviting ball delivered into the danger zone where Jake Cole in the home goal was able to punch clear ahead of Alex Fisher who had his eyes on another quick-fire goal.

Instead it was Woking who took an early lead within the opening two minutes when a strike from former Gulls’ loanee, Kadel Daniel, looped over Fabian Spiess with the aid of a slight deflection. 
The referee consulted his assistant before giving the goal.

There was another chance for the home side who forced a corner, which was well defended by James Hurst ahead of former Gull, Brian Saah who looked to get in a towering header.

It was the home side who were looking the most likely side at this point and another teasing cross into the area was cleared by the alert Durrell Berry as the resulting corner came to nothing.

At the other end, Hurst put the ball into the near post where the home side managed to clear ahead of Louis Briscoe, who was skippering the side in the absence of the suspended Angus MacDonald.

Some neat play by Hurst saw him skip past a number of challenges before making room for a left-footed strike that was pushed around the post by the ‘keeper.

A late challenge on Simon Heslop left him in need of treatment as Murtagh was given a yellow card.

The hard-working Berry launched a raid for United which saw him find Courtney Richards who in turn fed Bayan Fenwick and as he picked out Fisher, he just couldn’t thread a pass through to Hurst as the home side cleared their lines.

As the clock ticked down at the end of the first half, Woking went close with a free-kick, whilst player-manager, Kevin Nicholson, saw a free-kick of his own clawed away by the ‘keeper.

There was a let-off for United when a deep cross to the far post beat Spiess and was met by the head of Saah whose attempt was blocked on the line by young loanee, Harry Hickford.

Just before the break, Hurst lined up a powerful low strike that flashed inches wide of the target as United went in at the break one goal down.

There was a change during the interval as Tyrone Marsh came on for Briscoe as United shuffled the pack.

It paid dividends straight away when Marsh did well on the right and he eventually teed up Richards who fired home a beauty to make it 1-1 on 47 minutes.

With our tails up, Fenwick did well to deliver a delicious cross onto the head of Fisher at the far post and he went close.

It was all United at this stage as another cross, this time from Nicholson, posed more questions of The Cards’ defence.

A powerful strike from Fisher was kept out by Cole as he back-tracked before Hurst put a low ball into the path of Marsh who went close.

There was another purposeful raid from Torquay which ended with Heslop’s cross skim off the head of Fisher in the middle and that just took the ball inches away from Fenwick at the far post as the ball landed agonisingly wide.

United were well on top in the opening exchanges of the second half and there was another opportunity, this time for Marsh, who was unlucky once again.

The Yellow Army were in good voice to drive the team on as Fisher did well to meet a Nicholson cross but his header was smartly saved as Cole managed to claw the ball away.

As the home side started to get back into game, Daniel went close when his effort from 25 yards curled inches wide of the target.

There were loud appeals for a home penalty following a challenge by Berry, but the referee waved play on as United breathed a sigh of relief.

Courtney Richards was booked for a foul as Woking looked to break away.

With around a quarter-of-an-hour to go, Fenwick was replaced by Shepherd Murombedzi and he was straight away involved in the action as he played through Hurst who found himself with only the ‘keeper to beat and as he tried to go around him, Cole conceded the penalty.

The ‘keeper escaped a card but was sent the wrong was from the spot by Marsh who gave United the lead.

There was a booking for Hurst following a melee before some pressure from the home side ended with them grabbing the equaliser late on as the ball found its way through a crowd of players to beat Spiess.

Moments later, a good chance opened up for Hurst but his effort was straight at Cole.

A late change saw Hurst replaced by Fergus Bell as we entered stoppage time.

There was a great chance when United counter-attacked through Murombedzi who found Marsh and he set up Bell who missed a great chance to win it. 

It was end-to-end stuff as Marsh was presented with another chance that he failed to take advantage of as it ended in a 2-2 draw.

    Latest Match Reports