Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 at 17:06 PM


TORQUAY United were back on the road as we headed to Braintree Town.

The opening exchanges saw our hosts see more of the ball and force a couple of corner which ultimately came to nothing.

United survived a couple of scares in quick succession when Cheek’s header rattled the crossbar before the loose ball was scrambled behind for a corner.

The resulting flag-kick caused concern as Woodyard saw his attempt touched onto the woodwork by Daniel Lavercombe.

With United starting to get a foot-hold in the game and see more of the ball, Lavercombe did well to deny a long-range effort from Cheek.

There were some better spells of play from United as the first half went on, but neither ‘keeper was seriously tested on a heavy surface.

Some positive play from Shepherd Murombedzi saw him win a free-kick which was delivered into the danger zone only for Norris to gather ahead of the awaiting Andre Wright.

The next attack saw Murombedzi do well out wide and his inviting low ball into the area evaded everyone as it flashed across the face of goal.

It was to be the last real action of the opening period as it was goalless going into the break.

The second half began with Nathan Smith, back after a one-match suspension, making a couple of important clearances for United.

With chances few and far between at either end, United goalkeeper, Daniel Lavercombe, required some treatment after colliding with Powell, but he was okay to continue.

It was the home side who started to get back on top as Angus MacDonald was forced to defend well to deny Akinola and then Kevin Nicholson was well-positioned to clear from Cheek.

A great block from Smith denied Akinola. The youngster was brave as the home side pushed for a breakthrough.

Things were starting to get a bit lively as we entered the closing quarter-of-an-hour.

Akinola embarked upon a positive run but United got numbers back as the offside flag eased the pressure.

Some determined play from Durrell Berry out wide saw him look for Wright in a good position in the middle, but the ball was just behind him.

The closing stages Saw United pose a few questions without testing the home ‘keeper.

At the other end, Smith did well to take the sting out of Sekajja’s effort as Lavercombe gathered after the United ‘keeper had done well to punch clear Akinola’s effort.

The final whistle signalled a goalless draw as we brought home a deserved point and a clean sheet from a side that went into the game in eighth place in the table.

    Latest Match Reports