Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Mar 16 at 17:10 PM


TORQUAY United stepped out at Aldershot Town on a pleasant spring afternoon looking to extend our unbeaten run to six games.

With a good travelling contingent behind us, United faced a Shots’ side who suffered an 8-2 defeat in their last game.

There was a debut in goal for American, Brendan Moore, who joined the club on loan from Fleetwood Town to replace the injured Dan Lavercombe.

There was little action of note at either end in the opening ten minutes. A free-kick for United was easily cleared, whilst Moore made a commanding claim from a home free-kick at the other end.

After Pavey saw an effort blocked by Angus MacDonald, at the other end Andre Wright went on a positive run as he used his strength to force a corner kick.

The corner was delivered back into the danger zone at the second attempt by Danny Racchi and was met by a deft header from Shaun Harrad that landed inches wide.

Moore made a comfortable save to deny Pavey with 17 minutes on the clock.

It was a cagey opening to the game. United were showing signs of getting into their stride with some neat passing moves as we passed the half-hour mark.

Some good play out wide by Andre Wright ended with his cross into the danger zone cleared by Saville ahead of Harrad.

On 34 minutes a free-kick conceded by Berry saw Hatton deliver the ball dangerously into the area as Saville’s touch took the ball just wide of the target.

Having conceded another free-kick shortly afterwards, Berry was shown a yellow card.

United were guilty of some hesitation defending which allowed Rasulo to link up with Pavey whose volley flew narrowly wide.

As half-time approached, it was the home side who were starting to up the tempo and Rasulo saw his strike blocked by Racchi.

There was a stop-start nature to the game with a lot of niggling fouls interrupting the flow. A cagey opening period ended with the scoreline locked at 0-0.

The early action of the second period saw Butler’s low cross cleared at the near post by Gallagher.

A cross from Ralph saw Moore alert to get a fist onto his dangerous cross as Pavey lurked with intent.

A fourth corner of the afternoon was half-cleared as far as Courtney Richards whose effort was deflected into the path of Shaun Harrad but he put his attempt over.

Some good play from Wright after being played in by Harrad saw him get in a right-footed drive that went into the side-netting.

There was some brave goalkeeping from Moore to deny Lafayette as he was quick off his line to see the danger as Pavey linked up well with his strike partner.

Durrell Berry did well with an important challenge to deny Pavey as he prepared to shoot after finding some space inside the area.

With 64 minutes on the clock, Ifeanyi Allen and Toby Ajala were unleashed for Courtney Richards and Shaun Harrad.

The duo were soon involved in a neat move which ended with Allen’s inviting low cross in search of Aman Verma scrambled behind by Beckles. The resulting corner was met by the head of Angus MacDonald at the far post but his effort was easy for Smith to gather.

A smart save from Moore saw him deny Browne before he gathered ahead of Pavey as the home side kept the attack alive.

With five minutes to go, some more tricky play from Allen saw his cross to the near post cause problems by Aldershot were able to clear their lines.

A low strike from 25 yards by Gallagher produced a great save from Moore as he pushed the ball away.

Some resolute defending from United saw us deny our hosts in the closing stages as they pushed for a winner.

The last action saw Ajala cut inside from the left and let fly with a powerful strike that flew just over the crossbar as honours ended even.

It meant that our unbeaten run continued as we kept another clean sheet. Now onto Tuesday’s home game against FC Halifax Town...

    Latest Match Reports