Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Mar 16 at 17:13 PM


TORQUAY United started the Easter weekend with a trip to play-off chasing Dover Athletic.

With Josh Rees starting in place of the injured Danny Racchi and Toby Ajala up against his former club, there was a welcome sight on the substitutes’ bench with the return of Luke Young after a long-term lay-off.

The early action saw the home side go close twice in quick succession as firstly United failed to clear their lines and Modeste was denied by a good save from Brendan Moore and then another good opening saw Miller lash the ball over from a promising position inside the area.

A poor strong challenge by Payne left Durrell Berry in need of lengthy treatment and he was eventually stretched off with a suspected broken ankle as the home player received a yellow card. Ifeanyi Allen came on to replace Berry.

As the conditions made life difficult for both teams, United were looking to get a foot-hold in the game.

After a Deverdics cross had been headed over the crossbar by Payne, some positive play from Allen at the other end saw him win a free-kick that Dan Butler delivered invitingly as Orlu headed away from in front of his own goal.

There was a stinging strike from Angus MacDonald on the edge of the area that flashed over.

The home side took the lead when Miller got away from Angus MacDonald and his effort was deflected onto the crossbar by Dan Butler as Modeste was on hand to poke the ball home from close range.

Worse was to follow four minutes later when Aman Verma fouled Magri inside the area to concede a penalty. Deverdics stepped up and doubled the advantage.

On 41 minutes it was 3-0 when a poor back-pass from Ajala was seized upon by Miller who made no mistake to fire home beyond the despairing dive of Brendan Moore.

As half-time approached, Nathan Blissett went close to pulling a goal back when his effort was cleared off the line by Kinnear before Ajala fired well over from a good position in stoppage time.

With virtually the last kick of the opening period, some more hesitation in defence from United allowed Payne to make it 4-0 to complete a miserable half for Kevin Nicholson’s side.

There was a change at the break as Ben Gerring came on to replace Nathan Smith.

Moore did well to deny Payne at full-stretch after his initial effort was blocked and the rebound came back to him.

The next raid saw Deverdics try his luck from distance but the ball flew over the crossbar.

Just past the hour-mark and there was a real bright spot for United with the introduction of Luke Young for his first action in eight months. He replaced Nathan Blissett and straight away got involved in the action with a sweet strike that was well saved by Walker.

There was some neat early touches for Young, but at the other end, a poor back-header from Richards almost let in Crawford who failed to capitalise.

Some more sloppy play from United almost gave our hosts another helping hand as Raggott went close to extending the home side’s lead.

A strike from Allen had the sting taken out of it by a deflection as Walker gathers without too many problems.

Dover added a fifth goal with a slick move as Murphy and Deverdics combined well to set up Kinnear who made no mistake to find the net.

It completed a bad day at the office for United who conceded some poor goals and also saw Durrell Berry sustain a serious injury. The only bright spot came in the shape of Luke Young’s return to action as he was able to get 30 minutes under his belt.

We have an instant opportunity to bounce back on Monday afternoon with the visit of Eastleigh.

    Latest Match Reports