Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 15 Dec 15 at 21:40 PM


HAVING played out a stalemate on Sunday, Torquay United headed to Chesham United for an FA Trophy first round replay.

On a heavy surface, it was the home side who saw more of the ball in the opening exchanges, but United stood firm to keep them at bay.

An inviting cross from Pearce in search of the experienced Hayles saw player-manager, Kevin Nicholson defend well before a towering header from Ujah went wide for the home side.

After Shepherd Murombedzi saw yellow for a foul, his next involvement in the action saw him make a positive break from his own half before finding Alex Fisher whose touch picked out Andre Wright and he had the simple task of finding the net from close range to open the scoring.

With Wright and Fisher, who was back from injury, starting to form a good understanding, United began to up the tempo and it wasn’t long before we were able to double our advantage when a corner from Nicholson found the head of Wright at the back post and he made no mistake.

As our confidence levels increased, United played some neat football as we started to ask a few more questions of our hosts.

There was a booking for Butler for dissent before Angus MacDonald did well to clear an inviting corner from the home side.

Some impressive play from Louis Briscoe saw him set up a shooting chance for Butler but he blazed well over.

As the clock ticked down in the opening period an inviting low ball into the danger zone from Murombedzi just evaded Wright as the home side breathed a sigh of relief.

There was still time for Briscoe to have his name taken before the half ended with United two goals to the good.

The early action of the second half saw some skilful play from Murombedzi end with him finding Butler whose low strike was saved by Gore.

At the other end, Dan Lavercombe did well to gather a low effort from Blake as the home side searched for a way back into the game.

United were looking solid in defence with Angus MacDonald leading by example and frustrating the home side, however, a rare slip almost let in substitute, Bossman, but he failed to capitalise upon the opportunity.

A chance opened up for Butler as his right-footed strike was well saved by Gore. The ‘keeper then denied Wright who got in a powerful drive.

Some more sharp play from Murombedzi sees him find Briscoe whose attempt is blocked right in front of goal as the home side manage to scramble clear.

At the other end, Little’s free-kick is on target but gathered by Lavercombe without too many problems.

Some determined play from Briscoe saw him drive forward before winning a corner with eight minutes to go.

With United playing the closing stages out, a corner was met with a downward header from Wright that went close before Aman Verma’s long-range strike took a deflection that sent it over.

As stoppage time approached, Gerring was booked for a foul before Will Hancox came on to replace the hard-working Briscoe.

In the end it was a professional display from United as we deservedly took our place in the second round of the FA Trophy, where a home tie against Wrexham awaits on the weekend of January 16th 2016.

    Latest Match Reports