Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 23 Feb 16 at 21:30 PM


TORQUAY United stepped out for another massive game as we played host to a Welling United side without a League win since October.

The visitors were forced into a change within the opening minutes when central defender, Chambers, was forced off the field through injury.

Chances were few and far between at either end in the opening exchanges as an effort from Josh Rees was easy for the ‘keeper and then a cross from Dan Butler was scrambled clear.

As the game went on, United started to get a foot-hold as a corner was met with a firm header from Nathan Smith that was well saved as the loose ball was scrambled away from right in front of goal.

Then another neat move ended with Toby Ajala firing well over shortly afterwards.

With chances few and far between as the half went on, some good play on the half-hour by Ajala ended with him finding Courtney Richards whose attempt was deflected out for a corner which was only half-cleared as Ajala fired over from distance.

The visitors went close when Nortey hit a dipping effort from fully 40 yards which beat Dan Lavercombe but rattled the woodwork as United breathed a sigh of relief.

Moments later some neat football from United ended with Richards’ effort easy for the ‘keeper to gather.

As the clock ticked down, Durrell Berry put in an inviting cross which found Shaun Harrad at the near post and his shot on the turn was deflected behind for a corner.

At the other end, a cross just evaded Corne as United were able to clear their lines.

In stoppage time at the end of the half, a late challenge by Yusuf on Angus MacDonald saw a melee ensue, but order was soon restored as the Welling man saw yellow.

The half ended goalless.

The first action of the second period saw Durrell Berry booked for a foul.

There was a double chance for Ajala as his first effort was pushed out by the ‘keeper who then saved his follow-up with his legs.

Shaun Harrad is the next to see yellow for not retreating at a free-kick.

The first change for United saw Ifeanyi Allen replace Ajala and the pace of Allen immediately caused problems as he won a corner which was delivered onto the head of Nathan Smith whose effort found its way over the line to open the scoring.

In the wake of the goal, United upped the pressure in search of another as some neat play ended with Richards firing over.

A cross-come-shot from Dan Butler was gathered by the ‘keeper as the Welling United back-line found itself under plenty of pressure.

The second goal duly arrived on 71 minutes when a cross from Butler looped up off a defender into the path of Allen who fired home to double our advantage.

Allen was causing all sorts of problems for the visitors as United deservedly stretched our lead.

Some neat passing unlocked the visitors’ defence as Allen played through Blissett who went through only to put the ball inches wide of the target.

With nine minutes to go, Aman Verma made a welcome return to the action to replace Harrad and then late on, Sam Chaney replaced Nathan Blissett for the closing stages.

It ended in a 2-0 win for The Gulls to make it three wins – and three clean sheets – in a week as we moved off the foot of the table.

    Latest Match Reports