Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 01 Mar 16 at 21:40 PM


TORQUAY United were back at Macclesfield Town for the second time in a fortnight as we returned on League business with precious points up for grabs.

It was a bright start for United as we saw plenty of the early ball with some nice touches from Shaun Harrad and Nathan Blissett, both back in the side from the last game.

A cross from Toby Ajala looked for Harrad who went down inside the area but the referee was unimpressed as play continued.

Chances were few and far between at either end in the opening exchanges, although there was a decent pace about the game with United showing good energy and work-rate.

The opening goal arrived for United on the 20-minute mark when a mix-up between Diagne and his goalkeeper saw Blissett presented with a chance and he was able to guide the ball home to make it 1-0.

United were keeping a good shape to frustrate our hosts and some good link-up play between Danny Racchi and Courtney Richards in the midfield saw them feed Butler whose inviting cross was plucked out of the air by Jalal.

After a free-kick from Racchi curled well wide of the target, Dan Lavercombe did well to tip over a header from Dennis as our hosts created a rare opportunity with ten minutes to go until the break.

Some more good build-up play from United saw Blissett control well before teeing up Richards who lashed his effort wide.

The home side drew level on 43 minutes when a corner was half-cleared and the ball was returned invitingly for Dennis who found the net.

It was the only blemish on an impressive display from United in the opening period as we showed plenty of energy and kept a good shape.

There was an impressive start to the second half when Josh Rees did well to set up Berry whose effort was saved and as Racchi looked to profit from the rebound, Macclesfield managed to scramble behind for a corner.

The resulting flag-kick was delivered perfectly by Racchi onto the head of Blissett who made no mistake to make it 2-1.

In the wake of the goal, United went close when Toby Ajala broke clear of his marker but was denied as he tried to take the ball around the ‘keeper.

The corner that resulted saw Blissett win the ball but strike the woodwork as the home side breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Some really positive play from Butler saw him make progress before crossing to Blissett who was denied by Jalal.

At the other end, a Styche shot was straight at Lavercombe.

With Andre Wright on for the hard-working Ajala, the home side went close through Bailey-Jones who fired just wide. Moments later, Berry did well to deny the pacy Bailey-Jones before Phillips fired wide for the hosts.

After Wright had gone close with a curling effort from the edge of the area after The Silkmen failed to clear their lines, Dennis found space for the home side only to put his attempt inches wide.

It was a let-off for United with 20 minutes left on the clock.

As Macclesfield upped the pressure, United had to work hard to defend our lead. A counter-attack after some more resolute defending ended with Rees firing tamely at the ‘keeper.

A second change saw Rees replaced by Aman Verma.

The superb work-rate continued as Harrad chased to win the ball back and almost play in Blissett but the home defence cleared their lines.

There was a smart late save from Lavercombe to deny Whitehead as Butler did well to force the goal-kick in stoppage time.

The final whistle signalled a richly-deserved win as the players celebrated a third straight League win with the loyal travelling contingent of 84.

    Latest Match Reports