Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 08 Mar 16 at 21:40 PM


TORQUAY United were straight back into home action looking to make it five League wins in a row against high-flying Braintree Town, who had lost just one of their previous nine matches.

United kept faith with the team that beat Kidderminster Harriers in our last game.

With the rain falling, it was the visitors who started with purpose, going close and forcing a corner within the opening minute but United were able to clear the early danger.

An early cross from Dan Butler was headed out for a corner, which was half-cleared to Danny Racchi who drilled the ball back in but Angus MacDonald couldn’t guide his header on target.

A break from Akinola ended with his progress halted by Dan Lavercombe who escaped with just a yellow card as the front-man was running away from goal.

There was a blow for United on 22 minutes when Nathan Blissett was forced to limp out of the action as Andre Wright took his place.

A free-kick from Butler was delivered dangerously into the area and half-cleared as far as Courtney Richards whose powerful strike was bravely headed clear right in front of goal.

An effort on the turn from Toby Ajala crept narrowly wide of the post.

Some neat play from United saw Butler switch the play to Durrell Berry who fed Richards only for his cross to be over-hit.

In stoppage time at the end of the half, Richards conceded a free-kick on the edge of the area for which he was booked. The resulting free-kick found its way through the defensive wall but was well saved by Lavercombe.

It meant that the half ended goalless.

The early action saw Berry pick out Ajala wide on the right and he did well before crossing for Harrad who just failed to find Wright.

Harrad was felled inside the area shortly afterwards but it was just a corner for United which was headed over by MacDonald.

An inviting cross from Ajala was forced to be headed out from in front of his own goal by Paine on the hour-mark.

After a pacy break for the visitors ended with Akinola firing just wide, a second change of the evening saw Ifeanyi Allen replace Ajala.

As the visitors started to get back into the game, a cross from the left caused problems for Lavercombe who had to palm the ball away before the next raid saw Akinola fire over the crossbar.

A teasing low ball in from Allen causes problems and as the ball comes out to Berry, he fires just wide of the mark.

The pace of Allen was causing all sorts of problems and he won a free-kick which was fired well over by Butler.

Racchi delivered an inviting free-kick onto the head of Richards who planted a firm effort just over with six minutes left on the clock.

There was a chance for the visitors late on when an effort from Brundle was saved by Lavercombe and then cleared from in front of goal by the impressive Berry.

In stoppage time a low strike from the visitors flashed across the face of goal but thankfully no-one was on hand to get a touch and it ended in a goalless draw as we extended our unbeaten League run with a point and a clean sheet.

    Latest Match Reports