Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 15 Mar 16 at 23:06 PM


TORQUAY United returned to Tuesday night home action with the visit of FC Halifax Town.

Our visitors sat just outside the relegation zone, two points ahead of the Gulls, going into the game.

With Brendan Moore making his home debut in goal, United remained unchanged from our last game, whilst FC Halifax included Waide Fairhurst and Nicky Wroe, who skippered the side.

The early action saw a free-kick from Dan Butler cause problems for the visitors and as the ball was half-cleared, it fell to Josh Rees who appeared to be pulled back as he got in a strike inside the area.

Moments later Aman Verma got in a strike from distance which dipped just over.

It was an open start to proceedings with both sides showing a willingness to get forward.

A corner for United saw Shaun Harrad win the ball and tee up Rees whose attempt was blocked as an offside flag eased the pressure on the visitors.

A neat ball from the lively Rees picked out Andre Wright whose strike at goal was saved by Johnson.

There was a let-off for FC Halifax when Shaun Harrad closed down the ‘keeper as he cleared the ball and it cannoned off the striker and landed on the roof of the net.

Some neat play ended with Durrell Berry felled by McManus for a free-kick in a dangerous position that was powerfully delivered across goal and met by the head of Wright who was inches wide.

An effort from Peniket on 33 minutes was comfortably dealt with by Moore.

Positive play from Wright saw him feed Harrad but the visitors had men back to clear the danger.

The next attack saw a shooting chance open up for Verma but his effort sailed over the crossbar.

There was a decent opening for the visitors as half-time approached but Burrow dragged his shot wide from a good position.

At the other end, some good link-up play between Courtney Richards and Josh Rees ended with the latter firing over.

The half ended goalless as United looked the most likely side during the opening period without being able to make the breakthrough.

It was the visitors who started the second period in a lively fashion, but United created the first opening when Durrell Berry’s pass found Wright whose knock-down was fired over by Rees.

The next attack saw Butler’s low cross scrambled away by Bencherif.

Both Ifeanyi Allen and Toby Ajala were unleashed on the hour to replace Wright and Harrad respectively.

United were looking solid in defence but searching for a spark in attack as chances were few and far between at either end.

Some good play from Ajala saw him cut inside only to be denied by a timely challenge from Brown.

A cross from Berry is met with a stooping header from Ajala but he fails to direct the ball goalwards.

Shortly after a third and final change saw Sam Chaney replace Rees, Moore was called into action to make a fine save to deny Walker.

A stoppage time corner from Racchi was met with a flicked header by Nathan Smith across the face of goal and just ahead of Verma in the middle.

Some lovely passing football saw United carve open our visitors right at the death and as Courtney Richards went through, his attempt was hacked away off the line.

It meant that the game ended goalless for United’s third clean sheet in a row and our seventh League game unbeaten.

    Latest Match Reports