Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 27 Feb 16 at 17:05 PM


IT WAS back onto the FA Trophy trail for Torquay United with a quarter-final trip to Bognor Regis in the quarter-final.

The home side had the first effort at goal early on but Robson’s attempt was easy for Lavercombe.

United soon started to get into our stride and forced a couple of early corners which came to nothing.

There was a chance for Andre Wright who went close on his return to the team from injury, before a corner from Dan Butler curled goalwards and gave the ‘keeper problems as he grabbed the ball right in front of his goal.

Some neat play from United saw us carve open a chance for Wright but as he went through, his eventual strike lacked the power to trouble the ‘keeper too much.

A loose ball from United allowed Parsons to break but Kevin Nicholson managed to push him out wide as the chance went for the home side.

The game was in need of a spark as the half went on.

There were good opportunities at both ends within moments of each other as firstly a long throw-in from Nicholson caused concern and Ifeanyi Allen got in a strike that was pushed out by the ‘keeper to Wright whose follow-up was blocked by the home defence.

At the other end, Parsons did well out wide on the right before finding Prior whose effort was deflected just inches wide of the post.

The home side had the ball in the net following a goalmouth scramble right at the end of the first half, but the goal was ruled out for handball as we went in at the interval with the scoreline locked at 0-0.

There was a change at half-time as Aman Verma replaced Josh Rees.

It didn’t take long for the home side to take the lead in the second period when a strike rattled the woodwork from Pearce and Nilsen was alive to turn the rebound home and make it 1-0.

United looked to respond in the right way to the goal by getting a foot-hold back in the game but our hosts were always a threat on the break.

With just over 20 minutes to go, Will Hancox replaced Nicholson, whilst Ben Gerring also entered the fray.

A powerful strike from Richards was well turned around the post by the ‘keeper. Then Danny Racchi tried his luck but his effort was blocked.

In the final minute a late challenge from Ben Gerring sparked something of a melee which was soon brought under control by the referee.

There was spell of pressure from United in stoppage time as the home side defended for their lives to preserve their lead and make it through to the semi-final as our interest in the FA Trophy came to an end.

    Latest Match Reports