Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 12 Apr 16 at 21:40 PM


TORQUAY United stepped out for our third home game in the space of a week with the visit of an Altrincham outfit who were also desperate for the points to pull themselves of the relegation zone.

There was a starting place for Luke Young and he was joined by Shaun Harrad, Courtney Richards and Ben Gerring, with key men , Nathan Smith and Danny Racchi, ruled out through injury.

It was a positive start to the game for United as an inviting cross from Ifeanyi Allen in the second minute was cleared for a corner and as the flag-kick came in, the ball was half-cleared as far as Angus MacDonald who put the ball back in for Allen who fired well over.

A loose ball from United saw Crowther embark upon a positive run for the visitors which ultimately came to nothing.

With 12 minutes on the clock, a powerful drive from distance by Courtney Richards flies just over.

Some neat play on the left involving Josh Rees, Ifeanyi Allen and Dan Butler ended with the latter putting in another good cross which was met by the head of Nathan Blissett who was just off target.

Good skill from Allen in the next attack saw him brought down right on the edge of the area by Griffin. The resulting free-kick was deflected into the path of Luke Young who found the net with a sweet low strike to make it 1-0.

Another teasing ball into the danger zone, this time from Allen, causes concern for the visitors’ defence, but the ball was scrambled clear.

United continued to play some great stuff and there was a spell of pressure which saw Deasy make two great saves to deny Young and then Harrad as the visitors held on.

With half-time approaching, the hard-working Harrad twisted and turned well before getting in a strike that was just off target.

The half ended with United one goal to the good but it could have easily been more such was our dominance.

It was the visitors who started the second half brightly and Josh Rees did well to take the ball from substitute Ginnelly as he lined up a strike on goal.

An inviting low ball in from Butler was bravely gathered by the alert Deasy ahead of Harrad who was loitering with intent.

Nathan Blissett forced a corner which was drilled in and cleared into the path of Josh Rees who strike was just wide of the mark.

Our lead was doubled on the hour when a goal-kick was flicked on by Nathan Blissett for Harrad who strode through before calmly guiding the ball through Deasy to make it 2-0.

The first change of the evening saw Andre Wright replaced by Harrad who was given a warm round of applause for his tremendous efforts.

A foul on Butler gave United a free-kick in a promising position which was taken by Young and went inches wide.

Moments later, Blissett fed Allen who got in a strike that went so close to adding to our lead.

There was a let-off at the other end when a corner found the head of O’Keefe as Moore struggled and he was relieved to see Butler well-positioned to clear from in front of goal.

A counter-attack from the visitors saw Crowther find Lawrie who rushed his effort and it went wide.

With five minutes to go, Allen was replaced by Toby Ajala who was soon involved in the thick of the action, looking extremely lively.

In the end, United were able to celebrate a deserved three points courtesy of a 2-0 victory. There were impressive performances all over the pitch and at the end players, staff and supporters joined together to celebrate a job well done.

Now let’s take this into the next game...

    Latest Match Reports