Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 14 Sep 16 at 12:03 PM


THE Gulls lost on their travels for the fourth time this season going down 3-1 to a lively Woking side.

A double from Delano Sam-Yorke and a third from Watford loanee Dennon Lewis earned Woking all three points at the Lathwaite Community Stadium.

Player-manager Kevin Nicholson made one change to the squad that beat York City on Saturday. Midfielder Damon Lathrope replaced ‘keeper Jamie Robba on the bench.

After a quick start on Saturday the Gulls managed something similar against the Cards. Jamie Reid and Dan Sparkes threatened Woking’s goal in the third and seventh minute respectively. Both players’ efforts were blocked but it promised that there was plenty more to come from United in attack.

Woking defender Joey Jones was given a yellow card for stopping the run of Nathan Blissett at the halfway line.

Jamie Reid attempted a defence-splitting ball looking for the run of Dan Sparkes. The idea was a good one but former Gull Michael Poke was quick from his line and claimed the ball before Sparkes to capitalize.

After the opening quarter, Woking looked to have come to terms with the game more and started to create chances of their own.

Woking started to take advantage of their pace in attack and started to win a few more second balls.

In the 21st minute goalkeeper Brendan Moore punched clear only for the ball to fall to Woking midfielder Fabio Saraiva. United surrounded him and made him rush his shot so the ball eventually went safe.

Woking had their best chance of the first half just before United opened the scoring.

Ugwu broke through United’s back line but failed to show the composure necessary. His shot went over Brendan Moore’s goal when another touch would have steadied the imposing striker. It was a let-off for the Gulls and they took advantage soon after.

Dan Sparkes delivered a corner that Nathan Blissett went with everything he had. The ball was blocked on the line but Giancarlo Gallifuoco was there to score for the third time this season.

With the benefit of hindsight, the Gulls needed to get another before the break.

Blissett and Sparkes combined to give Jamie Reid an opportunity. Reid was at a very tight angle and his shot hit the side netting.

The half-time break saw the introduction of Chay Scrivens who replaced midfielder Joe Ward.

Although United had possibly edged Woking in the first half in terms of control of the game, the second half was a different story. Woking were a different proposition in the next 45 minutes; quicker all over the park, and much more dangerous in attack.

Moore made his first serious save in the in the 47th minute saving from Saraiva once again. Woking were soon to go into the lead.

Some quick passing in United’s box was finished by Sam-Yorke with a header into the net although Brendan Moore claimed for a handball by Sam Yorke with a combination of his head and hand possibly helping the ball into the net.

Once Woking had scored, United went into their shells and stepped off their oponents. It allowed them too much time on the ball and Woking made the most of their pace and power.

Dan Sparkes Vs Woking 13-09-16 H

Keiran Murtagh was unlucky when he superb shot from 25 yards came of a corner of bar and post in the 55th minute. He threatened once again in the 58th minute but his strike was straight at Brendan Moore.

Sam-Yorke scored his second of the match in the 59th minute. He converted from close-range after Woking had overwhelmed United in midfield and defence.

United’s best chance in the second half followed soon after Woking’s second and it might have changed the course of the match if it had been converted.

Luke Young delivered a ball with whip and pace into the box and Sean McGinty was there to send it towards goal. Poke pulled off a great save to keep it out.

From that moment on Woking took the game to the Gulls and didn’t look back.

Lewis, Murtagh, and Sam-Yorke were causing all sorts of problems for United.

Substitute Kandi broke on the right and his cross was nearly converted by Murtagh. It should have been Woking’s third but for a weak connection with his head.

Woking scored their third taking advantage of United’s desperation to find an equalizer. They broke on the Gulls and Lewis was there to finish with some aplomb past Moore. The ball threatened to bounce out after hitting the underside of the bar, but Lewis had his goal.

United travel to Boreham Wood on Saturday with much to make up for after Tuesday night’s result having never reached the levels of performance they have shown in parts so far this season.

Vs Woking 13-09-16 H

Dennon Lewis scores Woking's third goal in the 86th minute.

    Latest Match Reports