Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 05 Oct 16 at 01:56 AM


The Gulls earned all three points on Tuesday night and beat the National League leaders in the process on a blustery evening at Plainmoor.

Striker Jamie Reid struck in the 29th minute finishing off a devastating move to give United the lead. Although United rarely replicated similar attacking moves they showed enough determination and grit to keep Dagenham at bay.

Player-manager Kevin Nicholson will delighted with his night’s work but will also being counting the cost of a tough 90 minutes. Dan Sparkes, Jamie Reid, came off injured while striker Brett Williams picked up his fifth yellow card of the season and will be banned for the trip to Chester on Saturday.

Nicholson was already missing Jamie Robba (International duty) and Ben Gerring who started his four game ban after an appeal against his red card against Gateshead was rejected.

Joe Ward took the right back slot as the match came too soon for vice-captain Aman Verma after injury against Gateshead.

Both sides had chances to open the scoring early in the first half.

Dan Sparkes latched on to a kick by Brendan Moore but lifted his shot over the bar in the fourth minute.

Okenabirhie replied for the Daggers a minute later but his attempted whipped shot to the far corner was read by Moore and easily claimed.

Corey Whittley was the next Daggers player to test Moore. His powerful low shot was sent wide by Moore for a corner.

United were aided by a sending off for Scott Doe in the 15th minute. United caught Dagenham’s back line cold and Sparkes raced through only to be hauled down by Scott Doe. Dagenham’s captain received his marching orders and Joe Widdowson received a yellow card for his protest.

United capitalized in the 23rd minute when Blissett received a quick throw-in and cut the ball back for Reid to smash home his third goal of the season.

Jamie Reid Vs Dagenham T

Despite going down to ten men, Dagenham recovered quickly and showed why they had climbed to the top of the National League.

Okenabirhie tested Moore from distance before chances fell for Nathan Blissett and Damon Lathrope. Both efforts went wide of goal.

The Daggers’ best opportunity to equalize was within a penalty box scramble which called upon Yellow shirts to put their bodies on the line. Brendan Moore pulled off an outstanding double-save with Damon Lathrope also making an important block.

The second half went by without a clear sight on goal for either team, and that suited United who kept a firm grasp on their lead.

Dan Sparkes was replaced by Sam Chaney after five minutes of the second half.

A series of half-chances followed for both teams - half chances at best. Everything contributed towards running down the clock for the Gulls. It was a night for the Gulls to show that they had learned from some of their experiences this season.

Brett Williams picked up his fifth booking of the season stopping a Dagenham counter attack.

United sat a little too deep in the final quarter of the match but restricted Dagenham to speculative shots and headers.

Christian Assombalonga had Dagenham’s best opportunity in the last meaningful attack of the game. Hearts were in mouths – but United survived to claim all three points.

TUFC Vs Dagenham T

Before kick-off we held a special minute’s applause in the memory of United fan Mark Pym who passed away recently. The club would like to dedicate the win to Mark and his family and friends at this sad time.

    Latest Match Reports