Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Mar 17 at 17:02 PM


United pulled defeat from the jaws of victory in a 2-1 defeat at Plainmoor against Guiseley.

United stand-in skipper Aman Verma opened the scoring with a fantastic effort that came off the inside of the post. Guiseley struck back through Jake Cassidy and Will Hatfield and had to play most of the second half with ten men when defender Jake Lawler was sent off in the 52nd minute after receiving a second yellow card.

Torquay United player-manager Kevin Nicholson made one change to the side that lost to Sutton United seven days ago. Giancarlo Gallifuoco replaced loan signing Jared Hodgkiss at right-back for the Gulls.

United’s first shot on goal came in the 4th minute. Midfielder Luke Young showed ambition when hitting a first-time volley as a ball came down from a misdirected clearance.

The match was only 5 or 6 minutes old when referee Simon Barrow pulled up with an injury that meant 4th official Stephen Oakey entering the field of play. The game was stopped for 7/8 minutes while Oakey warmed up and could take over as assistant referee.

TUFC Vs Guiseley Referee Y

Guiseley striker Jake Cassidy nearly stole a march on United upon the resumption of the game. He found space between defenders but couldn’t connect well enough with a half volley at Brendan Moore.

Aman Verma came up with a goal from absolutely nowhere in the 25th minute. It caught the Yellow Army cold. He exchange passes with Luke Young and then fired the return pass towards goal. He was over 25 yards out, but the ball struck the post and it had enough power on it to divert across goal and over the line. It was a super strike.

Aman Verma Vs Guiseley 04-03-17 Y

United were 1-0 up and looking to push their advantage home. Jamie Reid nearly got a break inside Guiseley’s box in the 30th minute and then Williams could have broken through when he went close to breaking through two tackles inside Guiseley’s box.

Williams was a danger, not only in his play inside the box, but by coming short and keeping the ball moving for United.

He then struck bar with a header moments later. The woodwork denied United this time.

United should haven extended their lead in the 5th minute of added on time. Luke Young was able to break through one tackle and put a lovely ball through for Sparkes. There was still much to do though, and Sparkes left-footed drive wasn’t quite low enough, or hard enough to beat Maxted.

Dan Sparkes Vs Guiseley 04-03-17 T

Luke Young showed typical tenacity at the start of the second half and came close to stealing the ball from Jake Lawler in Guiseley’s defence. Young was deservedly awarded Man of the Match, and despite the result he can be happy with the effort and quality he showed on the day.

United were enjoying their best period of the game but couldn’t find a second goal. Damon Lathrope was on the end of one flowing move, but he couldn’t find the finish with his left foot. His effort went just wide of the far post.

Jake Lawler was then sent off for Guiseley after taking down Sparkes after the winger had beaten him. United had a man advantage to push home a win.

Guiseley equalized on the 64th minute and it had an element of fortune. A ball from the halfway line already had Cassidy turning and running towards goal. The ball struck Cassidy on the top of his back and landed nicely in front for him to take the ball past Moore and tap into the net.

Guiseley Vs TUFC 04-03-17 T

Will Hatfield scored Guiseley’s second goal in the 72nd. Hatfield turned his marker and hooked a half volley past Moore to take the lead.

United couldn’t sustain any sort of threat towards Guiseley’s goal after going behind. Their best chances had been and gone and individual mistakes had once again contributed to another defeat.

Kevin Nicholson and the team face another big game when they travel to Southport in seven days time. 

    Latest Match Reports