Story by Sam Turner.
The auction is now closed.
Gulls fan Joseph Pope is now looking to auction off memorabilia from the fundraising game he helped organise back in May for former Torquay midfielder Damon Lathrope.
Lathrope suffered a horrific leg break in a game against Boreham Wood playing for Woking which forced him in to an early retirement.
Lathrope is a fan favourite at Torquay United having played over 150 games over his two stints at the club. He was part of the team that reached the League 2 play-off final at Old Trafford in 2011. To have such a life changing injury at the age of 28 left both Torquay and Woking fans shocked. Woking fans started a fundraising campaign which managed to raise over £10,000 for Lathrope to aid in his transition to retirement.
The game, organised by 18-year-old Torquay fan Pope, was between teams which featured both Torquay United legends and Torquay United fans in a red shirts vs white shirts matchup. The legends involved included Kevin Hill, Chris Todd, Lee Mansell and Kevin Nicholson. It ended 3-3 with Chris Zebroski, Charlie Payne and Alfie Payne scoring for the Reds and Kevin Nicholson, Patrick Dudley and Matt Tarr on the scoresheet for the Whites.
After the success of the game, and the desire to continue helping Damon, Joseph is now hoping to auction off memorabilia Here’s the list:
- Boots worn by former Torquay United defender Ben Gerring in an FA Cup match for Truro against Charlton Athletic
- A Danny Stevens match worn shirt signed by the former United winger.
- Damon Lathrope match worn boots
- A Torquay shirt signed by players involved in the fundraising match
- …and a signed Angus MacDonald Hull City shirt!
The auction closing date is Wednesday, August 29th at 8pm. Email your bids to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bid updates will be published daily on this webpage. All bids are binding, and cost of postage is to be paid by the winning bidder. The first highest unique bidder will be the leading bid. Please include your contact details (address & phone number) with every bid. The auction organiser’s (Joe Pope) decision is final.
All bids correct as of 11:18pm 24/08/18
- Boots worn by Ben Gerring in Truro City’s FA Cup 1st round match against Charlton Athletic 05/11/17 Latest Bid – Mr Lew £100
2. A signed Danny Stevens shirt. Latest Bid – Robert Jackson £145
3. Damon Lathrope match-worn boots. Latest bid – Iain Knowles £20
4. A 2017-18 away shirt signed by the players in Joe Pope’s match for Damon Lathrope. Latest Bid – Mr Lew £100
5. A signed Angus MacDonald Hull City shirt. Latest Bid – Mr. Lew £100