Hungerford Town – Away Fans Travel Guide
By Sam Turner
Part five of Torquay United’s 2018/19 National League South tour takes Gary Owers’ men to the North Wessex Downs and the hospitality of Hungerford Town FC. The town is known for its scenery so if miles of idyllic countryside is your cup of tea you will certainly enjoy this away day. Facts time!
Location: 67 miles (107km) west of London. Hungerford’s Bulpit Lane ground (RG17 0BE) is on the edge of the town, 155 miles (249 kilometres) away from Plainmoor. To get there by car would take around 2 hours and 45 minutes. If a train is more to your liking it would take about 3 hours and 40 minutes from Torquay Train Station (with a few changes).
Population: 5,100 (ONS Census, 2011)
Hungerford Town FC
Manager: Ian Herring (Player Manager)
Ground: Bulpit Lane, Hungerford
Capacity: 1,500 (Seats 400)
Nickname: The Crusaders
- Formed in 1886
- Originally played on Hungerford Marsh before moving to their current home of Bulpit Lane
- Were promoted to their highest ever divisional standing (National League South) in the 2014/15 season after beating Leamington 2-1 in the Southern Premier Division play off final.
- Their best FA Cup run was reaching the first round in the 1979/80 season when they went out to Slough Town (who you’ll know all about from one of the previous away fans guides).
- Their record attendance at Bulpit Lane is 1,684 against Sudbury Town in the 1988/89 FA Vase semi final.
- Ian Farr is their record goalscorer, scoring 268 goals for the club.
Directions to the ground:
Car: Getting to Hungerford by car is simple as you simply come off the M4 at junction 14 and take the A338 towards the town. When you enter Hungerford you will find a roundabout. Here you will take the second exit towards the Town Centre. At the next roundabout take the first exit towards Marlborough, then at the next roundabout take the first exit towards Town Centre/Salisbury (A338). Continue straight on through the town centre for about a mile when you should reach a mini roundabout. Here you need to turn left on to Priory Road (signs should indicate that the ground is near) and then take the third left in to Bulpit Lane. Go straight ahead at the crossroads and the ground entrance will be on your left (by the children’s playground).
Train: Hungerford Train Station is situated about ¾ of a mile from Bulpit Lane (15 minute walk). Specific directions are shown below.
Little parking is available at the ground itself but there should be plenty of on street parking around in the surrounding area. The nearest car park is by Hungerford Train Station. The walking route from here is the same as the map shows from the Station to the ground.