TULFC were victorious once again at the weekend after beating Bishops Lydeard 3-2

The game was played in far from ideal conditions but the team performed admirably.

With a few injuries and illnesses in the squad, Naomi Binding came into the starting line-up and slotted into a back three alongside Alex Sheppard and Adele Rogers. Steph Beck returned to the starting line up to accompany Sian Chapman in attack.

The game started brightly with TULFC the better of the two teams. Conditions were making it hard to get the ball down and play, but the team adapted well. Sarah Smith was making some super runs down the left. In the 20th minute Smith delivered a great ball into the box. A shout from Beck allowed Daisy Self sell everyone a dummy which allowed Beck to tap in from close range. 1-0.

Bishops Lydeard started kicking into gear after that and stared to dominate the game. England U18 international Emily Smye was running the show for the visitors. From 25 yards out, she skipped through four players and slotted the ball past keeper Beth Marshall. Soon after, Smye was deadly again as she picked out a defence splitting pass over the top for Bishops to take the lead at half time. Having gone behind TULFC were in a unfamiliar position. A big response was needed. Half time 1-2.

After a half-time team talk, TULFC woke up and started playing football. Bailey and Self were breaking up play in midfield and Mingo and Binding were a threat on the right flank. TULFC were now dominating possession and showing more intent than in the first half. Sheppard and Rogers were making important tackles and challenges to keeper the visiting strikers at bay, and playing the ball out from the back. The swing in momentum told in the 68th minute when Bailey’s ball into the box was met by the rising Chapman to head beyond the advancing keeper.

Back in the game and with confidence high, TULFC were piling on the pressure. In the 83rd minute, Binding delivered a searching 40-yard ball into the box. It found Chapman who’s initial shot was saved by keeper Lucie Nurse, but she tapped in the rebound. It is now 9 goals in 9 games for the lethal striker.

This was a real tough test for the Yellows today, but they showed character and determination to grind out the win.

Next Sunday we are away to Exeter City Ladies in quarter final of the Devon Cup (2pm kick-off).

Report by Vicki Fannon















Subs used:




Not used: