United clinched a point on the road with a 1-1 draw against fellow National League strugglers Solihull Moors on Saturday.

Unites striker Brett Williams scored a penalty in the 41st minute after Elliott Romain had been brought down in the box by Fiacre Kelleher. Adi Yussuk scored from close range in the 82nd minute for the Moors.

The best of United’s chances were in the second half. An under-hit clearance by the Solihull ‘keeper found Luke Young around 35 yards from goal. He took a touch and found the target, but O’Leary had enough time to get back across his goal and stop the ball from crossing the line. In the 68th minute a corner from Luke Young was flicked on by Sean McGinty. Conrad Balatoni headed it on target from the back post but Solihull cleared. In the 74th minute Brett Williams fired a shot on goal from outside the box. O’Leary tipped it over the bar. Elliott Romain then tested O’Leary once again from a narrow angle.

Solihull had struck the post in the first half, and then after they scored their equalizer they had a good opportunity to seal all three points. Jermaine Hylton firing wide of the far post when well placed.

“Disappointing,” said Gary Owers after the final whistle. “If ever there was a game to win it was that game today. I thought we were the better team in the first half by far. We still looked comfortable in the second half even though Solihull were improved.”

“We had opportunities to pick them off breaking through midfield, counter-attacking numerous times. We couldn’t just pick the right pass or make the right decision.”

The Gaffer was happy with the work-rate he saw from his team.

“What am I going to criticise them for other than trying to find a little bit more quality? They worked really hard. Their attitude was good. If it was 1-0 to Torquay today then I don’t think anyone would have complained.

“We couldn’t defend a cheap free-kick, a wide free-kick from a dangerous position and they’ve scored from a yard.

“We looked like we could score when we went forward on numerous occasions, but again, it’s decision making in and around the penalty area at a critical time.”

Cardiff City loanee Rhys Healey came off the bench to make an impact late in the game. The Gaffer is eager to see more from the striker.

“He looked a very good player and a threat. I look forward to getting him on the pitch for longer.”

The Club would like to thank the travelling Yellow Army for their support on Saturday. The bitterly cold conditions were incredibly uncomfortable on the day.

Solihull Moors: O’Leary, Williams, Reckord, Daly, Kelleher; Storer [P. Green 83], Carter (c) [Carline 89], Osborne; Reid [Thomas 45], Yussuf, Hylton.


TUFC: 30 Vincent Dorel (GK), 3 Liam Davis, 5 Sean McGinty, 8 Luke Young, 14 Jakub Sokolik, 17 Tommy O’Sullivan [18 Yan Klukowski 90+2] 21 Aaron Barnes, 22 Elliott Romain [10 Ruairi Keating 82′], 26 Conrad Balatoni, 29 Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, 39 Brett Williams [28 Rhys Healey 82′]  Subs Not Used:1 Ryan Clarke (GK), 19 Jamie Reid

Booked: Liam Davis, Tommy O’Sullivan

Referee: Neil Hair

Attendance: 781