Match report by Joseph Brown

United 0

Hampton & Richmond Borough 2

Own Goal 25′ (Nabi)

Dickson 82′

United slipped to a 2-0 home defeat against Hampton & Richmond Borough, courtesy of an own goal by Samir Nabi and a header by Chris Dickson.

TUFC head coach Gary Owers made one change to the side since their 0-0 draw with Slough Town. A switch in formation to 4-3-3 saw winger Jason Banton returned to the starting XI replacing Jean-Yves Koue Niate who was unavailable through injury.

In a quiet first half, where chances were few, it was Hampton who looked the brightest. Liam Davis’ header fell to Hampton midfielder Ricky Wellard, but his effort went over Alex Bass’ crossbar. Experienced striker Craig Dundas was next to take aim, driving through United territory, but his effort was easily saved by Bass. Bass had to be alert again saving Zak Joseph’s drive.

United went behind when they failed to react quickly enough to a corner from Rhys Murrell-Williamson. It squirmed through a host of bodies with the final touch coming off United midfielder Samir Nabi.

Murrell-Williamson was causing all sorts of problems on the right and his cross-shot fell to Chris Dickson. United survived thanks to Kyle Cameron and Ben Wynter coming together to block. The winger was at it again after he skipped past Nabi but put his effort over the bar. Asa Hall had a speculative effort from distance that flew over the bar.

In the second half, Torquay United manager Gary Owers switched to a 4-4-2, bringing striker Ruairi Keating on for Jason Banton and pushing Ryan Dickson onto the left wing. The Gulls won a free-kick early on, but Nabi’s tame effort didn’t test Lovelock in the Hampton goal.

Keating looked bright as United looked to take the game to Hampton in the early moments of the second half. Alex Bass’ long goal kick was flicked on for the Keating. However, his low right-footed drilled effort hit the bottom right post with Lovelock beaten. It proved to be United’s only meaningful effort on goal.

Manager Gary Owers changed personnel in the 66th minute, bringing on Andre Wright for captain Brett Williams to freshen up his attack.

Bass had to be alert, tipping over a corner from Hampton substitute Daniel Uchechi. Nabi was next to have a go, but his drive was always rising over the crossbar.

Hampton & Richmond got the decisive second in the 82nd minute. Daniel Uchechi’s corner was met by an unmarked Chris Dickson who guided his header into the far corner.

United still had late efforts on goal but looked unlikely to get back into the game as the Beavers saw the game out with little resistance.

United: 1. Alex Bass (GK), 2. Ben Wynter, 3. Liam Davis, 4. George Essuman, 8. Asa Hall, 9. Brett Williams (C) [12. Andre Wright 66’], 10. Jason Banton [7. Ruairi Keating 45’], 14. Samir Nabi, 16. Ryan Dickson [11. Bobson Bawling 87’], 17. Kyle Cameron, 19. Jamie Reid. Substitutes (Not used): 13. Shaun MacDonald (GK), 20. Chris Regis.

Booked: Hall 64’

Hampton & Richmond Borough: 1. Tom Lovelock (GK), 2. James Hammond, 3. Nathan Mavila, 4. Ricky Wellard (C), 5. Simon Downer, 6. Michael Corcoran, 7. Zak Joseph [16. Daniel Uchechi 56’], 8. Casey Maclaren, 9. Craig Dundas, 10. Chris Dickson [14. Tyrell Miller-Rodney 84’], 11. Rhys Murrell-Williamson [17. Matty Wichelow 74’]. Substitutes (Not used): 12. Dan Bowry, 15. Jake Eggleton.

Referee: Scott Jackson

Attendance: 1,571 (52 Away)