United suffered defeat after a dominant Wrexham came out 4-0 winners at the Racecourse gound.

Head coach Gary Owers made three changes to the side that played Boreham Wood a week earlier. New loan signings Tommy O’Sullivan (Colchester United) and Alex Fletcher (Plymouth Argyle) came straight into the starting 11. Michee Efete came into the back three to replace the departed Alex Davey. George Dowling took Efete’s place at right wing-back.

United put together some promising play in the opening minutes of the match. Not enough to forge a worthwhile effort on goal, but the promise soon evaporated as Wrexham took control of the game. They showed a poise and confidence that was lacking from United’s game.

United’s unfortunate habit of conceding from corners reared once again in the 10th minute. After United had survived one ball into the box, the resulting corner picked out Wrexham forward Chris Holroyd who found the back of the net with a header. The Dragons did not have to work that hard for the opening goal.

Wrexham doubled their lead in the 31st minute when Manny Smith headed in. United ‘keeper Vincent Dorel couldn’t stop his header from crossing the line. Again, United were caught out by a ball into the box.

United went three goals behind in the 38th minute when Holroyd scored his second of the game. He had Paul Rutherford to thank for setting up the chance. His persistent run on the right wing caused United all sorts of trouble. Holroyd, an experienced performer at National League level, found the far bottom corner with authority.

United got closer to their opponents at the start of the second half and switched to 4-3-3. Michee Efete moved to right-back with George Dowling joining Luke Young and Damon Lathrope in midfield. O’Sullivan and Jamie Reid played either side of Fletcher, and then Ruairi Keating.  They restricted Wrexham to fewer chances on goal and made better use of the ball themselves.

However, Wrexham should have scored a fourth in the 74th minute when United were caught all at sea at the back. The Dragons fluffed their lines to add to their tally when scoring seemed to be the easiest outcome.

With the game more or less won in Wrexham’s favour, United pushed back slightly but a late handball allowed Holroyd to complete his hat-trick.

Wrexham AFC: 1 Chris Dunn, 3 James Jennings [2 James Hurst 87], 4 Manny Smith, 5 Shaun Pearson, 8 Sam Wedgbury, 10 Chris Holroyd, 11 George Miller, 14 Paul Rutherford [7 Jack Mackreth 81], 16 Marcus Kelly, 18 Roberts [13 Mark Carrington HT], 19 Boden Subs Not Used: 17 Christain Dibble (GK), 20 Akil Wright

Booked: Jennings, Rutherford

TUFC : 30 Vincent Dorel, 2 Michee Efete, 3 Liam Davis, 4 Damon Lathrope, 5 Sean McGinty, 8 Luke Young, 17 Tommy Sullivan, 19 Jamie Reid, 24 George Dowling, 28 Alex Fletcher [10 Ruairi Keating 61’] Subs Not Used: 1 Ryan Clarke (GK),


Attendance: 4,242

Referee: Karl Evans