The ladies returned to winning ways in the SWWFL Premier with a comfortable 4-0 victory over Ilminster ladies.

The Ladies were playing their first match at their new ground which is Ipplepen Athletic, Moore Road Playing Field, Moor Road, Ipplepen, TQ12 5TT.

TULFC made two changes to last week’s starting line up. Player-manager Vicki Fannon came in for the absent Hannah Eglon and Naomi Binding came in for Jana Richards.

The game started sloppily, both teams were unable to really get a hold of the game. TULFC then settled and started to control the game. Bailey and Fannon in midfield were breaking up play and bringing in wide players Smith and Beck. Chapman was holding up the ball superbly up front, allowing Self to push on and support.  TULFC started to rack up the corners but they were well dealt with by the opposition ‘keeper. In the 28th minute a TULFC corner by Bailey was met by Fannon, only for her effort to be saved by the ‘keeper. Chapman was on hand to fire the ball towards goal but it was again saved. The ball came out to Fannon who smashed the ball in the back of the net to make it 1-0.

TULFC continued to dominate possession and kept the ball well. The back four of Mann, Wakley, Sheppard and Binding were playing positive football. In the 35th  minute Sheppard played the ball up from the back, Self picked the ball up on the edge of the area and buried it into the back of the net showing superb technique beyond the advancing ‘keeper. Half time 2-0.

The second half started much the same, Marshall was left with nothing much to do in goal and any threats were dealt with by the TULFC defence. In the 55th minute Chapman was fouled on the edge of the area and a direct free kick was awarded. Rhi Bailey placed herself over the ball and buried it with perfection top left corner leaving the keeper with no chance. 3-0 to TULFC. Soon after Richards and Randle were introduced and Beck and Smith made way, the lively duo were causing problems down either side with their pace and skill. Chapman was working hard causing all sorts of problems up front, Wyatt was bought into the field of play to support her and soon made an impact.

Binding and Mann made way for the returning Rogers and Mingo at either side of the defence and slotted right back in. Ilminster were starting to tire, but they never gave up. The fourth goal was soon to come and finish off the game, the visiting ‘keeper had the ball in her box and was closed down by Chapman which caused an error. The ball fell perfectly to Richards who wasted no time in finding the back of the net. Final score 4-0.

“Today wasn’t our best performance but we put the disappointment of last Sunday’s FA cup exit behind us with a positive result. Four different goal scorers today and it was another clean sheet for the girls,’ said co-manager Craig Kendall.

Report by Vicki Fannon