Torquay United 1
Davis 79

Bath City 0

IN their first home match in the National League South, United pipped Bath City to all three points through a powerful strike from left-back Liam Davis.

Bath played well on the night but came up against a resilient United defence, and the Gulls turned on the late pressure to earn a victory that nicely sets up the weekend visit of East Thurrock in this brand-new football journey

The first big opportunity came in the fourth minute, when Jamie Reid intercepted a pass and played in Brett Williams, who took a touch and smashed it over the bar. A little more composure there could have led to a much-desired early goal for the Yellows.

Another good opportunity fell to Williams in the 16th minute, as Davis picked him out with a low driven cross, but the side-footed attempt was straight at the keeper. The closest United came in the first half was a Davis cross that met Asa Hall at the back post, who headed back across the box and a lively Williams saw his looping header hit the crossbar.

Bath, meanwhile, played some intricate football and it needed full concentration from the United defence to keep them at bay. Shaun MacDonald, when called into action, was again excellent between the sticks.

The visitors came out strong in the second period and squandered a great chance from close range when MacDonald had a rare slip, but the reprieve allowed United to apply some pressure of their own with some clever passing on the right wing and a whipped cross from Ben Wynter almost allowed Williams to head in at the near post.

In the 64th minute, a brilliant cross found Andy Watkins at the far post, who connected well with his header but hit the crossbar. Some panicky defending eventually led to a foul on MacDonald.

A chance fell to Jean-Yves Koue Niate from a Ryan Dickson corner in the 67th minute, as United came close to opening the scoring but ex-Gull Ryan Clarke made a terrific save. A corner shortly after created another chance to score but Jakub Sokolik volleyed inches wide.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 79th minute when substitute Ruairi Keating managed to recover a cross and found Davis at the back post, who took a touch before rifling a drive into the bottom left corner.

Resolute defending after the goal allowed City very little of the ball and United came away with a valuable 1-0 victory. It was a night when the Gulls dug out a victory and a great result to match the tremendous atmosphere inside Plainmoor.

Attendance: 2,151 (125 away)
By James Clements